Monday, June 9, 2014

The last thing on the shopping list

Writing 101, Day Four: The Serial Killer
Today, write about a loss. The twist: make this the first post in a three-post series.

I couldn't find an instant of a loss that I wanted to write about. So instead i focused on the twist.

“Cereals, no. Breakfast foods, no. Where is the aisle for cherries?” I mumbled to myself as I navigated my way through the supermarket. I was searching for a candied cherries, or maraschino cherries. Most people I know don’t like this type of cherry because they are candied and don’t anymore have much of the “real” cherry taste but instead have this “artificial” taste.  For some people, the flavor actually reminds them of the flavor of cough syrup! I on the other hand, enjoy cherries any which way. At the least, I’ve enjoyed all the different ways I’ve tried them.

I arrive at the cooking section. My eyes scrutinize the shelves for any sign of maraschino cherries: a Glass bottle, red round fruit shapes, just the color red. There was an overwhelming number of unknown products on those shelves, yeasts, sugars,  sprinkles, and other things.. but alas no cherries.

The cherries were the last item on my list. I was in a hurry to complete the shopping list I had to make bread and butter pudding. The other things, milk, bread, nutmeg, eggs, etc, were all ready and waiting at home to be transformed into something more wonderful.

I don’t usually bake that much. Now this wasn't much of an occasion, but since my housemates and I decided we would stop cooking for each other the remaining two weeks we were living together, I had made my own decision to make all the things that I couldn’t make before. Slowly, this bread and butter pudding has become an obsession. I must try to make this dish!

This particular recipe was given to me by Liz’s uncle and aunt, who let us stay with them in their little cottage and was very hospitable during the entire time. As I make this dish, it is celebration and memory of the warm house and quiet life they included us in.
Cherries! I found them. But boy where they quite expensive. 3 euros for a little container. Bah. Maybe they are available in another store. I glance down towards the cashier, a long line snakes away from them. I’ll be back when it’s not so many people, I decided.
I had to run to my next class, but after, the magic begins!

No comments: