Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dublin, That place where I am right now

The place I want to be right now, is right here. In my living room, sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket like a chinese springroll. My hands protrude out from under the edges of my blanket and press away at a laptop with internet. It is early summer, but in Dublin, the nights are still cold. A hot cup of tea is steaming on the coffee table in front of me, the water vapor floating occasionally in between my face and the computer screen. I can smell the subtle aroma of tea, still too hot to drink.

Behind me, on the other side of a wall and 2 doors, are my beloved friends and flatmates, asleep in their beds. I sit in the dim light, it is quiet but comforting as the house feels lived in. My barefoot feet sprawl lazily on the genuinely fake wood floor. I've always wanted wood flooring.

Periodically sounds of the street waft in through the thin one-pane-of-glass windows and squeeze through the heavy curtains. Cars pass by on the street below, following the river direction towards the sea. The river tonight, is tired. It barely flows at all. The surface is black and smooth while the reflection of the buildings across the river glare brightly.

In the dark of night, the weather is not apparent. Dublin by day almost always has a heavy overcast above it, and the feeling lingers even after the sun goes down. Causing me to retreat even deeper into the armrests of the couch, finally sipping at that cup of tea.  

1 comment:

Melissa Barker-Simpson said...

Vividly told - I could smell the tea too :-)